Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Constancy a scary word...but does it bring life?

Constancy is a scary word for me.  Why, you might ask?  I always thought that meant I would be trapped, stuck doing the same thing over and over again.  That has never been my comfort zone because I loose interest.  So perhaps I need to look at the healthy choice of consistency the same way I look at breathing. 

Breathing is part of the autonomic nervous system (if I remember correctly).  Meaning it always works without us thinking about it and when it stops we are dead.  (Gee this train of thought is looking interesting.)  In the same way, if I do not pursue health I am dead...but that is where the analogy breaks down.  The question becomes, can making healthy choices and eating less eventually become automatic?  I am guessing yes, but most likely this will take longer than the six weeks to form a habit idea.  Maybe it takes longer because I have yet to embrace the change as a true life style change?  Maybe that is why I gain the weight back over time...I do not see it as a life choice necessity.

So what do I do about it?  I choose.  I choose to embrace this as a way of life...moderation in all things...including the eating part.  Fortunately for me, I must also do the exercise and strength portion of healthy living since it spares me the aches and pains of growing old.  Heck I have a 9 year old to keep up with!

So my current choices:
  1.  Use MyFitnessPal to calculate what I eat and make sure it is balanced.
  2. Write on this blog 2 - 3 times a week, about my thoughts on this subject and perhaps what I am going through....(see I could have said everyday, however that is not moderation)
  3. Take a before picture of myself in the mirror and look at it a few times a week to remind me why I am doing this.  ( took a front & side view of myself in the mirror, and no I have not posted this on the Internet yet.  perhaps when I feel braver and more accepting??? )
  4. At the start of every month, capture a picture of myself so I can see the change happening.
I think these are enough common sense goals I can use right now and be consistent with.  So perhaps in 7 months or so I can say constancy is not a scary word for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment